On June 6, President of the Artsakh Republic Arayik Harutyunyan convened a working consultation with the participation of law enforcement officials dedicated to increasing the efficiency of the fight against criminal violations of public order and internal security of Artsakh.
In his remarks, the President touched upon the current situation in detail, emphasizing that ensuring decent public order and internal security in Artsakh is one of the priorities of the Artsakh Republic, in particular, the law enforcement system of Artsakh.
"Despite the fact that due to the 44-day war of 2020 and ensuing problems there is a certain tension in the public life of the republic, we must overcome all of them, and not only take the level of public security of pre-war Artsakh as a benchmark, but to surpass it. We can set such a task and achieve its solution as there are all the necessary preconditions for that - public demand, state will, commitment and unity of the law enforcement system," President Harutyunyan said.
During the consultation, the law enforcement officials delivered reports on the crimes registered and preventive work carried out in the republic within the recent 5 months and discussed a number of other issues on the agenda. In that context with reference to the problems and challenges existing in Artsakh, in order to ensure the fulfillment of the state obligations and the rule of law, the President of the Republic gave the following instructions to the law enforcement bodies:
1. Taking into account the legal regime of martial law in Artsakh, take all measures within the framework of the law to detect and confiscate weapons and ammunition in illicit circulation, as well as to prevent the danger arising from them.
2. Take large-scale operative reconnaissance measures to prevent the attempts of possible criminal groups, authorities, privileged people peculiar to the post-war situations to play a dominant role, eliminate the already established inadmissible phenomena, and in case of disclosure of such crimes, apply means of criminal prosecution.
3. In each locality, identify the circle of those people who lead an anti-social life style, display cynical behavior in public, that runs counter to the rules of public welfare, conduct explanatory work with them, and take all administrative measures to prevent the emerging public danger.
4. Spare no effort to identify cases and take measures of responsibility for the arbitrary solution of interpersonal problems with the use of violence or other illegal actions, as well as to prevent such phenomena.
5. Take all the tools of administrative responsibility, without exception, to bring to justice those who have committed administrative offenses, naturally, taking into cosideration the principles of justice and humanity.
6. Along with the exercise of powers to combat crime, constantly work to identify and dismiss persons in their own ranks, who undermine the authority of the state system and display behavior extrinsic to the police officer and state servant, as well as conduct courses on ethics, proper speech, and etiquette, especially with people who are in constant contact with the public.
7. During the exercise of powers, always remain within the framework of the rule of law, strictly observe human rights and freedoms enshrined in the Constitution, properly respond to any signals of violation of human rights from the Artsakh Republic Human Rights Defender.
Addressing the Prosecutor's Office, the President emphasized the need for the full exercise of the supervision and control powers of the Prosecutor's Office to make the fight against crime and overall criminal policy even more credible, as well as full compliance with law while exercising their powers by the bodies of inquiry and preliminary investigation.
The President of the Republic gave the following instructions to all bodies and officials of the executive power:
a) give due consideration to any petition or report submitted by law enforcement bodies, take immediate actions to eliminate causes and circumstances that contribute to the commission of crimes, respond to any inquiry, or provide any factual or probable evidence required in the shortest time possible;
b) properly respond to any request of the Human Rights Defender of the Artsakh Republic, take immediate and effective measures to any proposal towards eliminating the violation of the right;
c) contribute to enhancing the authority of the state power, formation and growth of public trust, strengthening of the rule of law and statehood through proper cooperation, mutual respect and complementary relations between state institutions, the work of comprehensive and caring assistance to the realization of citizens' rights.